the american zippo manufacturing company from pennsylvania has also a cool outdoor product, which could become as famous as their all time favorite lighter.
can you already guess what this is? it’s a hand warmer, designed in a very similar style as the iconic windproof lighters, which were already sold over 500 million times. and as every good story – also this one has it’s origins in austria ;) the remarkable design of their products was inspired by an austrian lighter!
like the unbreakable lighters also the hand warmers are built to last. they are refillable with the same lighter fluid as the lighters. they provide up to 12 hours of gentle and consistent heat – perfect for an adventure in the mountains.
i was lucky to shoot for these little warming charms, because on the top of the “gaislachkogl” it had only -18 degrees celsius that morning. my wife and photographer marion was pretty happy she got the small lady version which kept her fingers warm and functional to shoot in this cold surroundings, so she didn’t even need gloves.
after the photoshoot on the gaislachkogl we were very happy to be invited for lunch in one of the most beautiful buildings in the alps i know so far – called the “ice q”. we visited this place already while making our james bond trip (because the latest 007 film spectre was filmed there).
to get a good sunrise the people of oetztal tourism hooked us up with a snowmobile ride with a guide to find the perfect spots. it was really an experience exploring the skiing region really empty just accompanied by the snow groomers on the wide slopes.
so here’s the easy set up for your hand warmer for your next cold adventure:
- fill the lighter fluid into the included plastic cup
- remove the lid and the catalytic burner unit from the handwarmer
- fill the warmer (make sure to keep it upright)
- put the catalytic burner back and light (about 10 seconds)
- put the lid back and stow it into the included pouch – ready to heat up!
get your hand warmer here -they are available in different colors and two sizes (just click image):
- das central – very cosy and lovely hotel with really good service and the famous “oetztaler stube” with haute cuisine! and a perfectly equipped spa (there’s nothing better than a steam room or sauna after the cold).
- ice q – astonishing architecture on top of the mountain with the best dessert i know so far (called the “topfenmoussekugeln” – check it out when you visit).
my song for riding the mountain:[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/241369010″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”200″ height=”200″ iframe=”true” /]
in friendly collaboration with zippo
special thanks to das central for the accommodation.