People around the world mostly connect Austria with the likes of Mozart. But besides the Austrian rock star from the 18th century we also have some serious business heroes, like the global high tech company voestalpine. To be honest I also didn’t know a lot about the voestalpine before they invited me on a special weekend with their super international team. (Read to the end for a special giveaway!!)
The voestalpine isn’t only the number one when it comes to high tech steel production, but they also invest in the happiness of their employees. Therefore they decided to bring people from their worldwide network of companies together in Spielberg at the Red Bull Ring racing track to ante up their winter sport skills.
Employees from over 40 countries and all continents joined after being selected from over 1.000 applicants (voestalpine has over 50.000 employees!). Next to the 120 hobby athletes, who work for voestalpine, I was invited to also spend the weekend there with a team of bloggers.
Believe it or not, but some of these voestalpine employees saw snow for the first time in their life! And although their nation may not be known for winter activities the lack of winter sport skills was definitely compensated by tremendous ambitions :) It was a lot of fun watching people try their luck in the biathlon competition after standing on skis for the first time.
It’s not the first time voestalpine brought together their worldwide employees to strengthen international cooperation. But this year it was the first official “Winter Games”. The participants were mixed up in teams of four and were ready to become winners. So for example a Pakistani contender teamed up with a Chinese, a Brazilian and an Austrian to form an athlete team.
- Bavarian curling – make sure to protect your toes.
- Ice Hockey – testing the speed of your puck when hitting the goal.
- Luge – get the floating tires burning on a slide.
- Ski Alpine – this one sounds a little misleading… voestalpine knew this might have been to risky for people who were not born with skies on their feet :) Therefore they decided to create a unique snow-buggy slalom race (without skis).
- Biathlon – the voestalpine team couldn’t let winter games happen, without at least trying out skis! Cross country skiing was probably the safest choice ;-)
THE BLOGGER TEAM
But besides becoming a winner being part of it was already winning – just like in real life! I joined the competition with a team of blogger girls – Nina from Berries & Passion, Sabrina from BeRoSa GoGreen and Klara from klarafuchs.com. Our main discipline was obviously posing for the camera – well and eating of course ;)
But we also had a lot of fun at the Bull slide sledding competition and with Bavarian curling. Unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to test all the disciplines (maybe also because of our extensive lunch break ;) ) but everything looked quite entertaining – judging from the faces of the voestalpine teams. (But, yes lunch break was nice, too!)
YOU CAN BECOME A CHAMPION TOO:
WIN YOUR EXCLUSIVE RACE TRAINING!
The only thing you have to do is leave a comment here on the blog for a chance to win this:
- GO WITH YOUR PRO TRAINING WITH MARK WEBBER
- Two days of racing with-Ex-Formula1-Pro Mark Webber at the Red Bull Ring.
- Testing exclusive Race Cars (Formula Renault 2.0 )
- Including: 2 day of race training with Mark Webber, 1 night at a hotel at the Red Bull Ring
- Drivers license required! (18 years+)
- Worth: 2.988 Euro (not refundable in cash)
- Date: 10-11 May 2018
- One person (Austria only – travel expenses not included)
You can find more infos about the race training here:
If you want to up your chances of winning, make sure to also leave a comment on the blogs of my female co-athletes:
The winner will be drawn on Monday, 05.02.2018 at 7pm (entries valid until 6pm).
SOME FACTS ABOUT VOESTALPINE
In case you are still wondering what the voestalpine actually does? It is a steel based technology company from Linz (Upper Austria, my home county). You will find their steel in automotive parts, tools and in railway systems. voestalpine is known for bringing highly innovative steel products to the market. I had a chance to visit their plant a year ago and it looks more like a lab than a factory – quite impressive!
Location: Red Bull Ring, Styria, Austria
Photography: Lady Venom / Marion Vicenta Payr